For anyone considering hiring tree crews that are not bonded or fully insured, there may be some serious repercussions; property owners would have to accept a huge amount of risk.
Tree removal services are listed amongst the most dangerous jobs, according to OSHA. Trees are dreadfully heavy; fully grown trees can weigh-in over 10 tons and tree crews face a great risk of injury from falling tree trunks and tree branches. Tree removal services are often called upon to:
- Clear fallen trees due to torrential rainstorms (additional exposure to electrical hazards from fallen power lines)
- Clear land for new construction
- Remove dead trees causing potential hazards to a residence or commercial building
- Remove downed trees from powerful windstorms
- Grind unsightly stumps
Who Needs Commercial Insurance for Tree Removal and Stump Grinding?
While there is no specific "tree removal and stump grinding" policy, if your business includes any of the following services, then you need some comprehensive coverage.
- Tree removal, tree trimming, and pruning
- Municipal tree care
- Tree pest management
- Landscape gardening professionals
What is a BOP and what can it do for you?
An insurance policy that combines coverage for liability and property, one that is designed for small to mid-sized businesses, is known as the business owners policy(BOP). Combining these policies typically saves you money.
Broadly speaking, BOPs combine:
- Property insurance for company-owned building and contents
- Business interruption insurance covers loss of income due to a catastrophic event
- Liability protection covers your company's legal responsibility for harm to others resulting from things that you/our employees do or fail to do in your business operations
BOPs do NOT cover:
- health and disability insurance
- professional liability
- worker's compensation
- auto insurance
These require separate policies.
The professionals at CommercialInsurance.net can help you assess your specific risks and get you the right coverage to protect your business investment.
Whether you are just starting out or you have an established business that needs to re-evaluate its existing coverage, here are some of the risks related to tree removal and stump grinding services.
- Damage to other people's property
- Injury to others caused by equipment malfunction or negligence
- Damage, loss, or theft of vehicles, equipment or tools
- Job-related injury or illness experienced by you or your employees
- Errors and omissions exposure: tree care consulting or advice that leads to a loss
- Accidents caused while driving your commercial vehicles by you/your employees
As you assess your business risks and liabilities, be sure to:
- consider work to be performed
- the tools your tree crews handle
- and other aspects of the work that can result in injury, damage or loss
Types of Insurance for Tree Removal and Stump Grinding Companies
When you discuss your needs with an insurance specialist at CommercialInsurance.net there will be several options to consider in order to get you the proper coverages, such as:
- General liability insurance: This basic liability policy covers property damage and bodily injury that may be caused by you or your employees cause while'
- driving to and from job sites
- performing tree care
- removing trees
- Professional liability insurance: If you provide consulting or tree care advice, "errors and omissions" insurance covers you against liability claims due to poor advice, negligence, or recommended services that result in a client's loss.
- Business property insurance: The amount of coverage needed depends on
- if you have a mobile business,
- own your business premises,
- own or rent the equipment and tools used on the job
- Inland marine insurance: This policy protects equipment and cargo transported from job site to job site
- Commercial vehicle insurance: This insurance policy will provide coverage specific to your commercial vehicles and drivers.
- Business interruption/loss of income insurance: If your business has been forced to shut down due to catastrophic events, i.e., gas line explosion, tornado/hurricane devastation, etc., this policy covers ongoing operational costs and employee pay at a temporary location.
- Workers compensation: This policy will cover job-related injuries/illnesses and lost income. Workers comp is required in all states; in some states, you only need to carry workers compensation if you have three or more full-time employees. In other states, you need to carry a basic workers compensation policy regardless of the number of employees.
There are many other optional coverages to consider. Be sure to discuss your specific concerns and requirements with an insurance specialist at CommercialInsurance.net who can customize coverage for your operation.
How to Get an Insurance Quote
Regardless of whether you have a large tree crew and tree care professionals or a small tree trimming operation, you need the right types of affordable insurance coverage. Go online today, CommercialInsurance.net., and fill out the form or contact an insurance specialist at 1-877-907-5267.